Gaisce – The President’s Award is a self-development programme that encourages you to find your passion, get active and make a difference in your community! Gaisce is a direct challenge from the President of Ireland to young people aged 15-25 to dream big and realise their potential. There are three levels of Gaisce – Bronze, Silver and Gold. The more time and energy you give, the greater the reward! By taking part in Gaisce, you will take on exciting personal, physical and community challenges and develop new skills and new friendships.
There are three levels to the Award programme, starting with Bronze and progressing to Silver or Gold, with the time and investment required increasing as the participant moves from Bronze towards the Gold Award. Students in Transition Year normally work towards their Bronze Awards, with students in later years engage with other awards, depending on their age. The Gaisce Awards challenges students in four areas over 13/26 weeks:
- Community Involvement – participants must get involved in their local community, to see how they can improve or add to the community they are part of e.g. tidy towns, local charities, local clubs etc.
- Personal Skill – participants are asked to take up a new skill or to hone an existing talent e.g. music, first aid, speech and drama, etc.
- Physical Recreation – participants become involved in a physical activity to improve their health and wellbeing e.g. hurling, football, hill walking etc.
- Adventure/Journey – For the Bronze Award, participants must plan, prepare, and undertake a 2 day, 1 night Adventure Journey in a group covering a minimum distance of 25km walk / 100km cycle
Why do Gaisce?
- Challenge yourself and grow your confidence
- Meet people, make friends and share new experiences
- Develop your interests and discover new opportunities
- Add your Gaisce Award to your CV
- Have fun!
Please click here to visit the Gaisce Homepage: Gaisce