Leaving Cert/LCA2 2020
State Examinations November 2020
The State Examinations Commission (SEC) is accepting applications for candidates who wish to sit for subjects in the Leaving Certificate 2020 – November Examinations.
The examinations will be held between Monday 16th of November and Friday 11th of December. Examinations will be held on evenings and weekends subject to public health guidelines. Please click on the link below to access timetables:
- Leaving Certificate 2020 – November Examination Timetable
- Leaving Certificate Applied 2020 – November Examination Timetable.
- Junior Certificate 2020 – November Examination Timetable.
The examinations will be written papers only, including the aural tests in Music and language subjects. The examinations will be based on the normal question paper format, content and structure as in previous years. There will be no oral or practical performance tests. Subjects will be graded on the basis of the written examinations only other than in the case of the following five Leaving Certificate subjects where the project work had been completed before the schools closed in mid-March:
• Home Economics
• LCVP Portfolio
• Physical Education (PE) Physical Activity project
• Design and Communication Graphics
Candidates, including external candidates, must sit their examination(s) in the school that they were originally entered to sit in. If you were an external candidate and had opted to sit in a hall you will receive further communication from the SEC in due course. Candidates can only sit for examination subjects that they were originally entered for. You may apply to sit for one or more subjects. Candidates can however change the level of the paper in the subjects they wish to sit.
The portal will be open for 5 days from 9am on Monday 28th of September until 5pm on Friday 2nd October.
There is no application fee to take these examinations.
Only one application will be allowed and late applications cannot be accepted under any circumstances.
Candidates that have not registered previously must do so before they can proceed to make an application. Candidates should also note that photographic ID must be presented at their examination centre before each examination session and that they must sign in before each
Candidates must read and accept the terms and conditions set out below, which contain very important information regarding the examinations and the impact of COVID-19.
Candidates who have been approved access to a reasonable accommodation(s) for the 2020 examinations will have this made available, eg a spelling and grammar waiver, or the use of a reader or scribe.
The examination results will be available in early February, 2021 at the earliest.
Students who achieve a better result in an examination than the Calculated Grade in that subject will be awarded this better grade when the final Leaving Certificate is issued. Likewise, if the calculated grade awarded was higher than the grade achieved in the examination, the calculated grade
awarded will be shown on the final Leaving Certificate.
Details of the Leaving Certificate appeals process will be announced when the results of the examination are issued by the SEC.
Candidate Terms and Conditions
In applying to sit a Leaving Certificate examination(s) I confirm that:
• I am available to sit the examination at the time and date shown on the timetable published by the SEC
• I am available to take the examination(s) in the school where I had been due to sit in June 2020;
• I have confirmed the level at which I wish to sit the examination(s);
• I will present at the school 15 minutes before each examination I have entered for and will bring photographic ID for each examination. The following forms of photographic ID are acceptable: driving license, passport, Public Services card, Garda ID or student ID card;
• I will notify the school in advance if I cannot attend for any reason;
• I will comply with all instructions and public health guidelines issued by the SEC, and by the school authorities while on the school premises, including social distancing;
• I will wear an appropriate face covering (mask) at all times while on the school premises and in the examination centre;
• I will read and observe the SEC’s regulations regarding the conduct of candidates in the state examinations, which will be sent to me by the SEC before the examinations start;
• In line with public health guidelines in force at the time, I will NOT attend for any examination(s) if, for example, I am displaying any symptoms of COVID-19, or have been advised to self restrict/isolate.
Should you have any query regarding the November Examinations please email the State Examinations Commission at November2020@examinations.ie or by calling the SEC on 1800111135 or 1800111136.
More information available at: https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ex&sc=se
The portal for students is available at this link, using their own login details: Student Portal
FAQs from the State Examinations Commission: FAQs
Candidate Information Guide
More information can be found in the candidate information guide:
CAO Offers 2020
CAO offers are due to be released on Friday 11th at 2:00pm. Advice on your CAO offers will be available from JTBCS Guidance Counsellors on Friday from 2:00pm to 4:00pm and on Monday from 9:00am to 4:00pm.
Please see the CAO website for further updates: http://www.cao.ie/index.php
Release of Leaving Certificate Calculated Grades 2020
John the Baptist C.S. wishes all 6th Year and LCA2 students the very best as they collect their results.
These results will be issued on Monday 7th September, and you will be able to view your Calculated Grade results on Candidates Portal from 9:00a.m. from home.
Please click here for link to Calculated Grades student Portal: https://lc2020.education.gov.ie/exam-results/
You will need the following:
- You examination number
- Your password that you used to register with the portal
- You may find it helpful to also have the email address you used to sign up for the portal close by
You can download and print your “Statement of Provisional Results of Calculated Grades for Leaving Certificate 2020”. This is the only way to receive a hard copy of the Calculated Grades. The school will receive details of results electronically but no formal “Statements of Provisional Results” will be issued to the school.
A Calculated Grades Portal helpline can be found at 1800-111135 or 1800-111136. Please note that due to COVID-19 restrictions the helpdesk phonelines will ONLY be available between 9:00am and 4:00pm on Monday 7th September to Wednesday 16th September.
Outside of these hours you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
Calculating your points/result:
Students may find the following useful when calculating their points/results:
Online points calculator – https://careersportal.ie/courses/calculator/pointsCalculator.html
Support & Guidance
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic and health and safety protocols, Leaving Certificate former students/parent(s)/guardian(s) are asked not to come in person to the school. The Guidance Counselling team within the school will be available to support students on Monday 7th September all day by phone. If you have any questions or queries, our Guidance Counsellors will be happy to support you in navigating your next steps by ringing (061) 383283 or by emailing one of the following:
- Mr. Howard: email@example.com
- Ms. O’Sullivan: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. O’Toole: email@example.com
- Mr. Healy: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note if a guidance counsellor is unable to take your call at the time you call, your details will be taken and your call returned as soon as possible.
The Institute of Guidance Counsellors have produced a very helpful booklet “The Class of 2020 – The Results Are Out, What Now? A Guide For Parents & Students” which explains all the process.
Key dates associated with the Leaving Certificate 2020 Calculated Grades:
- 7th September Issue of Results
- 7th September UCAS offers received by students
- 11th September CAO Round 1 Offers received by students
- 14th September Appeals application process opens at 9:00am
- 16th September Appeals application process closes at 5:00p.m
C.A.O. Offer Dates & Reply Deadlines
Round Offer Date Reply Dates:
- 11th September 2020 from 2:00p.m. 16th September 2020 by 3:00p.m.
- 23rd September 2020 from 10:00a.m. 25th September by 12:00p.m.
- 1st October 2020 from 10:00a.m. 6th October 2020 by 3:00p.m.
Please see below for helpful links, documents and numbers that may be of use to students and parents/guardians:
- The Leaving Certificate student helpline, at 1800 265 165, which is provided by the National Parents Council will be available from 11:00a.m.
on 7th September for students and this helpline will operate until after the C.A.O. First Round Offers.
- The Calculated Grades Executive Office (C.G.E.O.) will be available at 1800 111135 or 1800 111136 from 9:00a.m. until 4:00p.m. from Monday
7th September until Wednesday 16th September. Outside of these hours, queries may be emailed to email@example.com
- Information is available from the Central Applications Office (C.A.O.) at www.cao.ie
- Careers Portal information page at https://careersportal.ie/parents/lc_results_guide.php
- Resources to help wellbeing: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/256911-leaving-cert-2020-practical-supports/
Information on Calculated Grades
Please see the following link for Resources and Information on Calculated grades: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2f07eb-leaving-cert-2020-information/
Press release from Department of Education & Skills (01/09/2020): https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2020-press-releases/PR20-09-01.html
A Guide to the Calculated Grades Data Collection, National Standardisation and Quality Assurance Processes: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2fc71-a-short-guide-to-the-calculated-grades-data-collection-national-standardisation-and-quality-assurance-processes/
Exam fees refund: https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-EX-31818268.pdf
Message from Minister Foley: