The State Examinations Commission (SEC) is accepting applications for candidates who wish to sit for subjects in the Leaving Certificate 2020 – November Examinations.
The examinations will be held between Monday 16th of November and Friday 11th of December. Examinations will be held on evenings and weekends subject to public health guidelines. Please click on the link below to access timetables:
- Leaving Certificate 2020 – November Examination Timetable
- Leaving Certificate Applied 2020 – November Examination Timetable.
- Junior Certificate 2020 – November Examination Timetable.
The examinations will be written papers only, including the aural tests in Music and language subjects. The examinations will be based on the normal question paper format, content and structure as in previous years. There will be no oral or practical performance tests. Subjects will be graded on the basis of the written examinations only other than in the case of the following five Leaving Certificate subjects where the project work had been completed before the schools closed in mid-March:
• Home Economics
• LCVP Portfolio
• Physical Education (PE) Physical Activity project
• Design and Communication Graphics
Candidates, including external candidates, must sit their examination(s) in the school that they were originally entered to sit in. If you were an external candidate and had opted to sit in a hall you will receive further communication from the SEC in due course. Candidates can only sit for examination subjects that they were originally entered for. You may apply to sit for one or more subjects. Candidates can however change the level of the paper in the subjects they wish to sit.
The portal will be open for 5 days from 9am on Monday 28th of September until 5pm on Friday 2nd October.
There is no application fee to take these examinations.
Only one application will be allowed and late applications cannot be accepted under any circumstances.
Candidates that have not registered previously must do so before they can proceed to make an application. Candidates should also note that photographic ID must be presented at their examination centre before each examination session and that they must sign in before each
Candidates must read and accept the terms and conditions set out below, which contain very important information regarding the examinations and the impact of COVID-19.
Candidates who have been approved access to a reasonable accommodation(s) for the 2020 examinations will have this made available, eg a spelling and grammar waiver, or the use of a reader or scribe.
The examination results will be available in early February, 2021 at the earliest.
Students who achieve a better result in an examination than the Calculated Grade in that subject will be awarded this better grade when the final Leaving Certificate is issued. Likewise, if the calculated grade awarded was higher than the grade achieved in the examination, the calculated grade
awarded will be shown on the final Leaving Certificate.
Details of the Leaving Certificate appeals process will be announced when the results of the examination are issued by the SEC.
Candidate Terms and Conditions
In applying to sit a Leaving Certificate examination(s) I confirm that:
• I am available to sit the examination at the time and date shown on the timetable published by the SEC
• I am available to take the examination(s) in the school where I had been due to sit in June 2020;
• I have confirmed the level at which I wish to sit the examination(s);
• I will present at the school 15 minutes before each examination I have entered for and will bring photographic ID for each examination. The following forms of photographic ID are acceptable: driving license, passport, Public Services card, Garda ID or student ID card;
• I will notify the school in advance if I cannot attend for any reason;
• I will comply with all instructions and public health guidelines issued by the SEC, and by the school authorities while on the school premises, including social distancing;
• I will wear an appropriate face covering (mask) at all times while on the school premises and in the examination centre;
• I will read and observe the SEC’s regulations regarding the conduct of candidates in the state examinations, which will be sent to me by the SEC before the examinations start;
• In line with public health guidelines in force at the time, I will NOT attend for any examination(s) if, for example, I am displaying any symptoms of COVID-19, or have been advised to self restrict/isolate.
Should you have any query regarding the November Examinations please email the State Examinations Commission at November2020@examinations.ie or by calling the SEC on 1800111135 or 1800111136.
More information available at: https://www.examinations.ie/?l=en&mc=ex&sc=se
The portal for students is available at this link, using their own login details: Student Portal
FAQs from the State Examinations Commission: FAQs
Candidate Information Guide
More information can be found in the candidate information guide: