This is a one-year programme taken between Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate. It involves studying a wide range of academic subjects and the pursuit of extra-curricular activities. In our school, it also includes the production of a musical, running a business, foreign trips and Gaisce Awards.
This year helps to develop the skills that students require for the vocational and practical demands of life and is possibly their first real experience of the wider world. Students grow and mature in outlook and behaviour in this year. The Transition Year Programme is conducted according to the Department of Education’s 1993 Guidelines. It is designed to cater for the students’ personal and social development with particular emphasis on increasing maturity and self-confidence. It offers an opportunity, between Junior and Senior Cycle studies, to develop a more self-directed approach to work and study; some orientation towards the world of work; and experience of personal commitment to those considered more vulnerable in society; and to help students take responsibility for their own learning and decision-making. Our desire is that students at the end of Transition Year would have grown in greater maturity and confidence, as well as a greater appreciation of themselves, others and the world in which they live.
Some Transition year projects:
- School Musical
- Young Scientist
- Young Social Innovators
- Links Programme
- School Bank
- Reflective Diary
- Gaisce Awards
- Food Appeal
The TY calendar for 2018-2019 can be found by clicking on the link below:
FAI PDP! Soccer Coaching Course 2020:
All participants must also register on the FAI website using the following link:
GAA Foundation Course
Please see below details for the GAA Foundation course for TY students:
Participants wishing to attend/complete this course must log into the course prior to attending and view/complete the different modules online and attend the relevant practical sessions. (See course registration details below)
Please note the following:
The course will be open for participants to log onto and view the theory elements of the foundation course from May 1st and will remain open until Friday May 24th.
Participants MUST be available to attend the practical sessions on the dates assigned by the school.
Only participants that complete the online elements and attend the practical sessions will receive their coaching certificate.
Certificates will be issued by email to the individual participants
Participants who attend a GAA Coach Education course will be required to register their details on the Learning & Development Portal (learning.gaa.ie) prior to attending any GAA course.In order to receive certification you must register yourself on learning.gaa.ie and enrol on the relevant course.
To register on the Learning & Development Portal & the courses please proceed as outlined below:
- Go to – www.learning.gaa.ie
- Open an account on GAA E-Learning Portal by clicking on ‘Register’ in the top right hand corner:
- Fill in details, i.e. Name, email address and a Password of your choice. Note the email address must a legitimate email address and unique to you. The password must have at least 8 characters, at least 1 digit(s), at least 1 lower case letter(s), at least 1 upper case letter(s).
- A confirmation email will be sent to your email address. You will need to follow the instructions of this email to complete registration. (NB Some confirmation emails are arriving in Spam/Junk mailboxes).
- When you are redirected back into the site, the user will be asked to accept a Site Policy Agreement – it is important you read this policy and agree to the statements if you wish to continue using the site and gain course certification. If you agree you will be directed to your personal ‘Profile’ where you will be asked to input some personal details such as address, date of birth and Club.
Once you have registered on learning.gaa.ie you can enrol on the course by clicking on the following link:
You will be asked for an enrolment key/code which is: Hospital19 (As written)
Once the enrolment key has been accepted You are now registered on the course & can begin the theory part of the course.
Click on First Module – Introduction, Proceed through the content. When completed you will be guided to the next module. Please note that some browsers will block the pop ups that are required to go through the course. If this happens follow the “unblock popups” settings on your laptop.
Please see the following for info: